Home » Blog » What Type of Doctor Should I Consult for Gynecomastia?

What Type of Doctor Should I Consult for Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia (Gynecomastia Surgery) in St. Augustine, FLAs a man, you’re expected to have a certain physique and none of those characteristics involves having enlarged male breasts. Gynecomastia is an embarrassing condition many men of all ages suffer from. When looking to treat gynecomastia, it’s important you find exactly the right type of specialist to do so. Today, Dr. Vu wanted to share with you his guys’ guide to gynecomastia.

What is Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia is a condition in men that is characterized by a buildup of fatty breast tissue or enlarged breast glands, causing the appearance of “man boobs.” Gynecomastia is most common in young men going through puberty and older men seeing a reduction in testosterone but has the ability to manifest in men of any age. While the causes of gynecomastia vary from person to person, there is a universal treatment to help flatten the chest for a more masculine, chiseled appearance.

What Causes Gynecomastia?

There are many different factors that cause gynecomastia in men, including:

  • Genetics
  • Hormone imbalance during puberty
  • Hormone imbalance during andropause
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Obesity or excessive weight gain
  • Side effect of prescription medication
  • Use of recreational drugs, such as marijuana
  • Excessive consumption of alcohol
  • Use of anabolic steroids (athletic performance-enhancing drugs)

What Can Get Rid of My Male Breasts?

If your gynecomastia is a side effect of one of your medications, we recommend you try a new medication before seeking surgical treatment. If your gynecomastia is a result of genetics, hormone imbalance or any of the other reasons above, you should consider gynecomastia surgery to reduce the size of your male breasts. Gynecomastia surgery is a simple procedure involving liposuction to rid the area of extra fatty deposits and excision of excess breast tissue and enlarged glands.

What Kind of Doctor Should Treat my Gynecomastia?

The best kind of doctor to treat your gynecomastia by way of gynecomastia surgery is a plastic surgeon. When choosing the right plastic surgeon for your gynecomastia procedure, make sure you find a doctor who is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery and specializes in cosmetic breast enhancement procedures, like Dr. Vu. These two credentials ensure that your surgeon is highly qualified to give you the chest you want and deserve.

Want to learn more about what’s involved in gynecomastia surgery? Call our office today to schedule your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Vu. He’ll sit down with you, listen to your concerns and develop a personalized treatment plan based on your budget, lifestyle and ultimate aesthetic goals.